Stork's Nest Program
The Stork's Nest is a perinatal education and incentive program, run by registered nurses, that promotes healthy pregnancies for minority, low-income and other at-risk women served by the University of Maryland Medical Center.
A cooperative national project of the March of Dimes Foundation and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, The Stork’s Nest was established in 1971 and has over 100 "nests" nationwide. In January of 2000, The University of Maryland Medical Center partnered with the March of Dimes, Maryland Chapter and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Alpha Zeta Chapter to help women have a healthy pregnancy and give their baby a healthy beginning.
- Decrease the number of babies born prematurely (less than 37 weeks)
- Decrease the number of low birth weight babies born (less than 2500 gm or 5lbs. 8 oz.)
- Decrease infant deaths by promoting safe sleep practices and car seat safety
- Increase breastfeeding rates
- Empowers women to make smart healthcare choices.
- Offers incentives for attending prenatal health care visits.
- Offers free prenatal classes to educate women about having a healthy pregnancy and birth experience, along with teaching the basics of infant care and breastfeeding.
- Provides access to experienced health educators and trained nurses for support while being pregnant.
- Assists in getting free baby items.
- Provides information and referrals to community resources.
How to Participate:
To join, you must receive prenatal care at one of the University of Maryland Medical Center’s practices and plan to deliver at the University of Maryland Medical Center. You will earn points by attending Stork’s Nest educational classes, going to your regular prenatal care appointments and adopting healthy behaviors. After your baby is born you can continue to earn points by taking your baby to well-baby check-ups and making sure your child receives all of his/her immunizations on time. You will be able to earn points until your baby’s first birthday. You can use your points to shop at the Stork’s Nest store located at University Care at Edmondson Village.
When women make the commitment to their baby by joining Stork’s Nest they are taking the first step in ensuring a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
For more information please call:
University Care at Edmondson Village
4538 Edmondson Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21229
The Program Coordinator