Weight Loss Surgery Support Group
We recognize the evolving needs of our patients at all levels of recovery from weight loss surgery. As part of our commitment to an excellent patient experience, we offer a support group for our patients to connect with one another and share their experiences.
Support Group for Weight Loss Surgery Patients
One of our registered dietitians hosts our free support group each month. Specifically designed for our postoperative patients, our group is a safe place to share feelings, find motivation and support and start building a new life.
Studies show that support groups like ours can increase the chances of short-term and long-term success for our patients after bariatric surgery. We welcome significant others to attend with our patients, as part of their support system.
Each support group meeting includes:
- A presentation by our registered dietitian
- Discussion among members about that month’s topic and nutrition
- An “Ask the Doctor” segment and speakers, when other weight loss health professionals attend (not every meeting)
- Time for questions from patients at the beginning of their weight loss surgery journey
- Social interaction
Benefits of Joining Our Weight Loss Support Group
Members of our postop weight loss support group can build a community of friends among people who really understand what they’re going through. Surrounded by people who support their goals, our members:
Consider issues about obesity as a disease
Discuss personal or professional issues that arise after bariatric surgery
Receive the latest weight loss information
After their weight loss surgery, our patients are learning a new way of life and how to make sense of the role that food plays in their lives. Our support group focuses on:
Developing new eating and drinking behaviors
Learning a new relationship with food
Managing nutritional and physical health, as well as emotional, mental, psychological and spiritual well-being
Weight Loss Support Group: Our Topics and Schedule
Our meeting location, dates and topics are as follows:
Weight Loss Support Group: Locations
Tate Center **NEW LOCATION**
Baltimore Washington Medical Center
Dr. Constantine Padussis 3rd Floor Conference Room (3 Main)
301 Hospital Drive
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
We provide free parking.
Eastern Shore Support Group (Queenstown)
Maryland Primary Care Physicians
125 Shoreway Drive, Suite 120
Queenstown, MD 21658
Weight Loss Support Group: Dates and Topics
Tate Center Location
We meet on the third Wednesday of each month:
Our schedule is as follows:
- 1/20/2016 Plateaus: Time for Goal Setting
- 2/17/2016 Significant Others: Saboteur or Support (significant others invited)
- 3/16/2016 Exercise: Bariatric Boot Camp with Liz Dumont (www.bariatricbootcamp.net)
- 4/20/2016 M.A.N. Men Achieving a New Weight (men only with Alex)
- 5/18/2016 LOCATION CHANGE TBA Walking Clinic with Eric Barron
- 6/15/2016 Body Image: Fat Thoughts, Thin Thoughts *Clothing Exchange*
- 7/20/2016 Oh Soy, Can You See? Vegetarianism
- 8/17/2016 RESTAURANT TBA On the Table: Mindful Eating
- 9/21/2016 Cosmetic Surgery with Rachel Bluebond-Langner, MD
- 10/19/2016 Sorting out the Supplements: A through Zinc
- 11/16/2016 LOCATION CHANGE TBA
- 12/21/2016 Tips to Distract from Trigger Foods, the 5-5-5-5-5 Exercise
*Clothing Exchange: Renew your closet! Bring items that you no longer wear to trade with others. All clothing must be clean and in good condition. Extra clothing will be donated to Goodwill.
We meet on the first Tuesday evening of each month at 6 p.m.
For more information, contact: Dr. Jamie Harms or Vickie Duncan at 410-827-4001.
Online Support Group (Coming Soon!)
First Wednesday night of the month at 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Support for all our weight loss patients.
No appetite, cravings returning, honeymoon period over? You don’t have to be alone. Join with an experienced facilitator and other patients who understand what you are going through.
You will not be on camera, so no need to be concerned about how you appear.
For more information, call 410-328-8940.
Our Facebook Group for Post-op Weight Loss Patients
Connect with others like you online through our Facebook group for the UMMC Bariatric Surgery Postoperative Community. This is a closed group, available by invitation only to our postoperative patients. It provides an intimate and supportive environment for sharing information and experiences.
Weight Loss Support Group: Contact Us
For more information about our support group, call us at 410-328-8940.
Attend a Free Seminar on Weight Loss
You can lose weight for better health, with help from our bariatric surgery team. Sign up for a free weight loss seminar, either in person or online, to learn more about your options and get answers to your questions.