Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Assistant Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
Medicine: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Special Interests: critical care medicine, patient-oriented research.
Medical Degree: Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
Internship: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Residency: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Fellowship: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Certification: Internal Medicine; Pulmonary Diseases; Critical Care Medicine
Dr. Netzer received his B.A. in art history from Vassar College before attending Temple University School of Medicine. His training in medicine, pulmonary and critical care was completed at the University of Pennsylvania, where he also received a master's degree in clinical epidemiology. He serves the division as Director of Clinical Research and attending in the MICU.
Current Position: Assistant Professor of Medicine; Director, Clinical Research
Research Interests: Acute lung injury, effect of transfusion on critical illness, and assessment of inflammatory mediators in critical illness
- M.D. - Temple University School of Medicine, 2000
- M.S.C.E. - University of Pennsylvania, 2006
- Internship, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2001
- Residency, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2003
- Fellowship, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2006
Current Research Funding:
N01HR56170 Subcontract, Roy Brower (PI)
Clinical Research Network for the Treatment of Acute Lung Injury and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
Role: Co-Investigator (0%)
Total Costs: $273,235
- Netzer G, Shah CV, Iwashyna TJ, Lanken PN, Finkel B, Fuchs B, Guo W, Christie JD. “Association of Red Cell Transfusion with Mortality in Patients with Acute Lung Injury.” Chest. 132:1116-1123, 2007
- Netzer G, Dutton RP, Hess JR. “Right Data, Wrong Conclusion! (Editorial).” Critical Care Medicine. 36(4):1383-1384, 2008.
- Murphy DJ, Howard D, Muriithi A, Mendez-Tellez P, Sevransky J, Carl Shanholtz C, Netzer G, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. “Red Blood Cell Transfusion Practices in Acute Lung Injury: What do patient factors contribute?” Critical Care Medicine. In Press.
- Netzer G, Fuchs B. “Necrotizing Fasciitis in a Plaster-Casted Limb,” American Journal of Critical Care. In Press.
- Snyder G, Thom KA, Furuno JP, Perencevich EN, Roghmann MC, Johnson JA, Strauss SM, Netzer G, Harris AD. “Detection of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus and Vancomycin-resistant Enterococci by Healthcare Workers on Infection Control Gown and Gloves,” Infection Control Hospital Epidemiology. 29(7):583-589, 2008.
- Netzer, G, Taichman D. “High Altitude Pulmonary Edema,” In Pulmonary Vascular Disease. Taichman, D and Mandell, J, Ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Press, 2006.
1-800-373-4111 (physicians only)
1-800-492-5538 (patients only)
1-410-328-8919 (news media only)
1-410-328-3938 (academic office)