Progressive Care Unit
The Progressive Care Unit (PCU) is a 24-bed unit providing 24-hour care to adult patients diagnosed with cardiac conditions who require telemetry monitoring. Telemetry monitoring uses a portable system that sends heart rate and rhythm data to our specialists so we can manage your care 24 hours a day.
Progressive Care Unit at the University of Maryland
You may be admitted to the PCU for:
- Managing cardiac diagnoses
- Arrhythmia detection
- Care following cardiac interventional procedures
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Hypertensive emergency (sudden, severe increase in blood pressure)
- Acute coronary syndrome
Patients in the Progressive Care Unit
Our team monitors your care through careful planning and ongoing collaboration. Your team includes a case manager, who provides coordination of care for all cardiac patients in the PCU. Your case manager focuses on discharge planning, high-risk patient care coordination and third-party payer communication.
We have two sets of rounds every day to discuss your care plan:
- Morning rounds: The medical and nursing staff meet every morning to discuss the progress and the plan of care for each patient.
- Afternoon rounds: This includes a more extensive team, who all work together to manage your care. Participants may include:
- Case manager
- Patient care coordinator
- Occupational, physical and speech therapists
- Social worker
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 1-866-408-6885.
This page was last updated: July 30, 2015