Cardiac Intensive Care Unit

Inpatient Cardiology Units

The Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CCU) is a 15-bed unit that provides 24-hour care to adult patients diagnosed with cardiac conditions who require intensive care and hemodynamic monitoring. The CCU average daily census is 13.8 patients. 79 percent of the patient admissions are transfers from acute care facilities or referrals from outside physicians. The other 21 percent of admissions come from the emergency room.

Patients in the CCU are covered by either the Complex Cardiology Service (CCS) or the Primary Cardiology Service (PCS). The CCS cares for patients with a primary diagnosis of heart failure and/or pulmonary hypertension. Patients before and after heart transplant are also cared for by this service. The PCS cares for patients with a primary diagnosis of myocardial infarction, rhythm disturbances, hypertensive emergency and unstable angina.

Clinical coordination is a priority for our patients. Medical and nursing staff patient care rounds are held every morning to discuss the clinical progress and the plan of care for each patient. Additional rounds that include all members of the interdisciplinary team occur each weekday afternoon. Participants in these rounds include, but are not limited to, the case manager, doctor, nurse, patient care coordinator, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, nutritionist, social worker and palliative care staff members, when requested.

There are a number of resources available for patient and family support, including pastoral care, pain management, and the Patient Resource Center.


Please call if you would like to make an appointment or talk to someone about our services. Patients dial 1-866-408-6885, physicians dial 410-328-6622 or 1-800-318-1019.

This page was last updated: July 29, 2014

         
Average rating (1)