The hybrid operating room (OR) at the University of Maryland Heart Center brings together the most advanced catheter-based treatments with sophisticated surgical technology, including robotics. Our surgical robotics and ability to perform completely closed-chest bypass surgery set our hybrid OR apart from others in the nation.
A hybrid OR combines two critical parts of heart care:
- A catheterization labs with advanced, highly detailed imaging technology
- A fully equipped cardiac operating room
In our hybrid OR, our team can perform the full range of heart treatments, from stents to minimally invasive bypass surgery. While some centers use their hybrid OR only in certain cases, our surgeons routinely perform surgeries in this OR. This gives us a high level of familiarity with the room, ensuring that your procedure is as smooth as possible. Meet our team.
Advantages of a Hybrid OR
Using the combined technology of a hybrid OR, we can:
- Perform minimally invasive heart surgeries without needing to open the chest
- Use advanced X-ray and 3-D imaging devices to evaluate your procedure in real-time and if necessary, begin a more intensive operation immediately
- Perform more than one procedure at the same time, such as a bypass procedure combined with angioplasty and stenting. Undergoing these complex combined procedures means you won’t need to undergo as many surgeries.
The Hybrid OR Team
In the hybrid OR, our team of heart specialists works together, each one bringing his or her expertise from many different areas of heart care. A hybrid OR team may include:
- Cardiac surgeons
- Interventional cardiologists
- Cardiac anesthesiologists
- Perfusionists (specialists in heart-lung bypass procedures)
Procedures in our Hybrid OR
We perform a wide range of minimally invasive heart procedures in our hybrid OR, including:
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 1-866-408-6885.
This page was last updated: July 30, 2015