Valve Disease Program
Some heart valve glitches do not cause symptoms or complications as regular checkups are enough to protect your health. In the case of leaky valves, medications may also help.
But for many patients, surgery provides the most relief and the best option for preventing damage. That is true whether the valve is leaking (regurgitation) or narrowed (stenosis). Our robust program offers a high rate of mitral valve repair and the latest options for aortic valve replacement.
Heart Valve Disease Program at the University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center
While many centers offer heart valve surgery, several factors set our approach apart:
- Specialization: Heart surgery is already a specialty, but we went a step further. Our surgeons each focus on a different area of the heart or treatment technique, whether it is the aortic valve, the mitral valve or catheter-based procedures. This gives them a unique level of expertise and spurs innovation and excellence.
- Comprehensive approach: At the same time, each of our surgeons understands other heart conditions that are sometimes related to valve problems. They work closely with other specialists and can draw from the full range of services available at a top academic program like ours.
- Clinical trials: We belong to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute’s Cardiothoracic Clinical Trials Network, a group of elite academic medical centers invited to participate. That means we can provide our patients access to clinical trials not widely available.
- Experience: We are one the of the busiest and fastest-growing heart programs on the East Coast. Treating a high volume of different heart valve problems means our team has unmatched experience treating valve disease.
- Personal care: Despite our popularity, we take time for personal attention and care. If you are hospitalized, for example, a doctor is available 24-7 to attend to your needs.
- Top team: We have the specialists needed to care for all valve problems, including the most complex and severe disease. Meet our team, including:
- Cardiac surgeons
- Cardiovascular imaging specialists
- Interventional cardiologists specializing in valve work
- Specialized nurses and nurse practitioners
- Vascular surgeons
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 1-800-492-5538.