Support Services for Cardiac Patients
We know that heart disease affects more than just your heart — it can have other physical and emotional effects as well. At the University of Maryland, we provide you with all the care and support you need during your health care journey.
See all 20 of our heart healthy video tips from UMMC experts.
Cardiac Support Services at the University of Maryland
Our holistic approach to heart care means we care for you, not only your heart. Our support services include:
Read more about the treatments and services we provide.
Nutrition Services for Heart Patients
Proper nutrition can go a long way in preventing and managing heart disease. The nutrition staff, as part of your heart care team, provides exceptional, personalized care to help promote positive outcomes.
We provide clinical nutrition services to all of our heart patients before and after surgery:
- Our dietetic technician and dietitian work together to screen, assess and monitor you on a regular basis.
- We integrate appropriate diet recommendations, including specialized nutrition support, into your care plan.
- We provide nutrition education as well as needed.
Heart Patients: Case Management
Our patients benefit from individualized case management services. As you get ready to leave the hospital and return home, it can feel overwhelming to coordinate your discharge plan. Our nurse case managers take the burden off you by communicating with the physicians, heart teams and insurers to develop a discharge plan geared toward your needs. This way, you can focus your effort on recovery and resuming your regular activities.
- Referrals for home care, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation
- Assistance with ordering supplies and equipment needed at discharge
Browse inspiring patient stories of our Heart and Vascular Center patients.
After surgery, physical therapy helps you to get back on your feet again. Our experienced physical therapists provide rehabilitation to patients with a variety of cardiac diagnoses.
- Individualized exercise programs to enhance physical recovery from surgery and promote strength and wellness
- Monitoring your progress
- Education on activity progression, in preparation for return to daily home and community activities
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 1-866-408-6885.