For Referring Physicians
At the University of Maryland, we have a reputation for handling some of the toughest cardiac cases. Many of our patients are considered too high risk, either due to their age or the complexity of their medical conditions. We have proven success results for our patients, despite taking on some of the most critically ill patients. Our expertise with these difficult cases also makes us the first choice for more “routine” heart problems.
Why Refer Patients to the University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center
Our heart team is motivated and dedicated to finding a solution for your patients. Our extensive experience and expertise, combined with the full resources of the University of Maryland Medical Center, enables us to see patients successfully through their treatment. Features of our care include:
- Excellent diagnosis: We have the capabilities and resources to get an accurate diagnosis for patients, even for heart conditions that can be tricky to diagnose.
- Minimally invasive treatments: We are committed to minimally invasive heart procedures whenever possible. We do some of the most complex minimally invasive procedures, including, totally endoscopic coronary artery bypass, transcatheter valve replacement and even minimally invasive VAD procedures.
- Integrated team of specialists: Our heart team, including electrophysiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, congenital heart specialists, cardiologists, cardiac anesthesiologists and interventional cardiologists, all collaborate and work together to provide comprehensive, effective and coordinated care for your patient. Meet our team.
- Coordination with referring physicians: We are in touch with you during the course of your patient’s treatment, keeping you updated on the treatment and patient progress.
- Smooth discharge care: As the patient gets ready to be discharged, we work with you to create a follow-up care plan so the patient maintains good heart health.
OneCall: Physician Referrals, Consults and Patient Transfers
OneCall is a physician-only resource for referring clinicians. With OneCall, you can reach any University of Maryland physician and receive assistance with urgent and non-urgent referrals, consultations, admissions, transfer patients and patient follow-ups.
Cardiac Care at Our Specialized Heart and Vascular Centers
Learn more about our dedicated centers, which provide patients with the specialized care they need for these complex heart conditions:
- Adult Congenital Heart Program: We help adults living with a congenital heart disease manage their unique health challenges as they transition out of pediatric care. Learn more about our Adult Congenital Heart Program.
- Arrhythmia treatments: We offer the most advanced treatments for all types of heart rhythm abnormalities in our advanced electrophysiology (EP) lab. Learn more about arrhythmia treatments.
- Center for Aortic Disease: A team of heart specialist with extensive experience treating aortic disease cares for patients, some of whom have complex, difficult-to-treat aortic disease. Learn more about our Center for Aortic Disease.
- Coronary Revascularization Program: We provide complex, minimally invasive procedures to restore blood flow in blocked arteries. Learn more about Coronary Revascularization Program.
- Heart and Lung Transplant Program: Our transplant specialists provide the full range of transplant procedures, including advanced heart and lung support treatments. Learn more about our Heart and Lung Transplant Program.
- Pulmonary Hypertension Program: We provide care for all types of pulmonary hypertension. We are one of the few centers performing the complex pulmonary thromboendarterectomy procedure (PTE). Learn more about our Pulmonary Hypertension Program.
- Valve Surgery Program: We perform complex valve repair and replacement procedures, using a minimally invasive approach whenever possible to avoid open heart surgery. Learn more about our Valve Surgery Program.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 1-866-408-6885.