The University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center is a regional referral center for some of the most difficult cardiac cases. Our high volume of patients and extensive experience, combined with the full resources of an academic medical center, enable us to provide hope and treatment for our patients.
Heart Disease: Advanced Care at the University of Maryland
At our Heart and Vascular Center, you are receiving care from an integrated team of heart specialists, from many different areas of heart care. This ensures you receive the most advanced, comprehensive and effective care possible. Features of our care include:
- Latest diagnostic procedures: Our team has the expertise to give you an accurate diagnosis, even when the condition may be challenging to diagnose. Learn more about cardiac diagnosis.
- Minimally invasive surgeries: From closed-chest bypass surgery (TECAB) to complex aortic valve replacement procedures, we use the least invasive surgical approach so you recover faster. Learn more about our treatments and services.
- Coordinated care: We handle everything you need at our Heart Center, from diagnosis through treatment. In addition, our staff works closely with your referring doctors to keep them updated about your treatment and progress.
- Patient education: We emphasize preventive care, including educating patients about living a heart-healthy lifestyle. Learn more about our Center for Preventive Cardiology.
- Expert team: Our physicians are also faculty members at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. In addition to treating patients, we train future cardiologists and cardiac surgeons. We also conduct research and clinical trials to improve the treatment and care of all heart patients. Meet our team.
- Screenings (Vascular and Cardiogenetic): Screening offers an opportunity to know if you are at risk for venous disease, so you can make lifestyle changes to reduce that risk. Learn more about screening.
Heart Care: Specialized Programs
We provide dedicated care for patients in our specialized programs and clinics:
- Adult Congenital Heart Program: We help adults living with a congenital heart disease manage their unique health challenges as they transition out of pediatric care. Learn more about our Adult Congenital Heart Program.
- Arrhythmia treatments: We offer the most advanced treatments for all types of heart rhythm abnormalities in our advanced electrophysiology (EP) lab. Learn more about arrhythmia treatments.
- Center for Aortic Disease: A team of heart specialist with extensive experience treating aortic disease cares for patients, some of whom have complex, difficult-to-treat aortic disease. Learn more about our Center for Aortic Disease.
- Coronary Revascularization Program: We provide complex, minimally invasive procedures to restore blood flow in blocked arteries. Learn more about our Coronary Revascularization Program.
- Heart and Lung Transplant Program: Our transplant specialists provide the full range of transplant procedures, including advanced heart and lung support treatments. Learn more about our Heart and Lung Transplant Program.
- Pulmonary Hypertension Program: We provide care for all types of pulmonary hypertension. We are one of the few centers performing the complex pulmonary thromboendarterectomy procedure (PTE). Learn more about our Pulmonary Hypertension Program.
- Valve Surgery Program: We perform complex valve repair and replacement procedures, using a minimally invasive approach to avoid an open heart surgery. Learn more about our Valve Surgery Program.
- Vascular Disease: From varicose veins to peripheral arterial disease to aortic aneurysm repairs, the vascular team is skilled at using the latest techniques in screening, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care to tackle a range of vascular conditions. Learn more about our Vascular Disease Program.
In our support groups, you can meet other heart patients who are going through similar experiences as you are. We offer a support group for congenital heart patients and one for patients who have had or will undergo a heart or lung transplant procedure. Learn more about our support groups.
For information on ways to give back to the Comprehensive Heart Center, visit the UMMS Foundation. For more information or to make an appointment, please call 1-866-408-6885.