In the spring of 1896, only months after Röntgen’s discovery of
the “mysterious X-rays,” University of Maryland faculty member and
gastroenterologist John C. Hemmeter, MD, published one of the first articles
on contrast imaging of the human stomach. By summer of the same year, the university
had installed its first X-ray machine, originally a part of the general services
provided to surgical and emergency patients. The call for X-ray procedures––and
specialized expertise in interpreting the shadowy images––led to
the establishment of the hospital’s radiology service in 1900.
Although the small unit was originally staffed on a part-time basis by physicians
who maintained private offices outside the hospital, the first half of the 20th
century saw steady gains in radiological technique, staff, and training. In
1954, with the appointment of John M. Dennis, MD, as the permanent chair, the
department began to be recognized for its clinical and academic contributions.
Study volume and quality grew quickly thereafter, as did the numbers of faculty,
residents, and other trainees. As the hospital grew, the department expanded
from the North into the South building and more recently into the new Gudelsky
and Weinberg buildings. Today, services are also provided at the adjacent Baltimore
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and at University of Maryland Medical Center
Midtown Campus, University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedics Institute formerly Kernan Hospital, University Medical Specialties Hospital, as
well as at private offices at UIC and Shipley’s Choice.
A renewed focus on research activities has brought recognition for programs
in informatics, MR and CT imaging, nuclear medicine, cardiac imaging, image-guided
procedures, and forensic imaging. An infrastructure of dedicated research support
staff has been added to encourage ongoing grant and funding efforts, both within
the department and as part of a growing number of interdisciplinary and cooperative
For more information about the Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine or to contact one of our radiologists, call the University Physicians Consultation and Referral Service at 1-800-492-5538 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 (physicians).