Services For Adults
UMCDE is designed to treat adults with Type 1, Type 2 and other forms of diabetes – whether you are newly diagnosed or have been coping with diabetes for years.
The program has been carefully designed to help people with diabetes take charge of their own health and well-being. Our team of board certified endocrinologists, podiatrists, psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, certified diabetes nurse educators, nutritionists, and other providers can help you enjoy a better quality of life through careful planning, monitoring and management. Our patients often see better results with this team approach.
Specialized services include:
- Onsite HbA1c testing with results during visit
- Complication screening, prevention and treatment
- Medication management
- Insulin pump and continuous glucose sensor management
- Weight management and nutritional counseling
- Pre-pregnancy and gestational diabetes glucose and nutritional management
- Foot care
- Smoking cessation assistance
- Management of rare and atypical forms of diabetes
- Clinical trials
Diabetes education resources
Recognized by the American Diabetes Association, the UMCDE’s individual and group classes help patients develop skills and knowledge to better care for their diabetes. Components of the education program include:
- Comprehensive diabetes self-management program
- Insulin pump therapy
- Medication management
- Nutrition and meal planning
- Diabetes and pregnancy
- Diabetes support group
- Special interest topics:
- Traveling with diabetes
- Understanding your heart health
- Women and diabetes
- Men and diabetes
- Exercising during the winter
- Carbohydrate counting
Distinction in Diabetes Care
Our physicians have been recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance Diabetes, making them part of an elite group that is publicly recognized for skill in providing the highest-level diabetes care.
UMCDE's education program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association Education Recognition Program and meets the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.
Endocrine Disorders Serivces
Diagnosing endocrine disorders can be very challenging, but UMCDE endocrinologists are experts in diagnosing and treating a wide range of conditions.
UMCDE provides diagnostic and treatment services for patients with all types of endocrine disorders. In addition to the diabetes center, there are several multidisciplinary practices focusing on endocrine disorders including:
- Adrenal disorders
- Bone, calcium and other metabolic bone disorders
- Endocrine tumors
- Hypogonadal disorders
- Lipid abnormalities
- Thyroid diseases
- Pituitary disorders
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 443-682-6800.
This page was last updated: March 31, 2014