Pre-Transplant Eligibility Testing
Prior to starting any treatment, your insurance company must approve you for transplant. Your transplant nurse coordinator and financial coordinator will submit the necessary documentation to the insurance company to obtain approval.
You must also be approved by the transplant team to receive any type of transplant. The purpose of this is to ensure that you are receiving the best possible care for your diagnosis and individual situation.
- Blood work
- 24-hour urine specimen for kidney function
- EKG (electrocardiogram)
- Chest x-ray
- CT scans: chest and sinus, possibly abdomen and pelvis if needed
- Bone marrow biopsy if needed
- MUGA scan or echocardiogram to check heart function
- Pulmonary function test to check lung function
- Consult with Social Work
- Consult with Nutrition
- Consult with Dental
- Consult with Financial Coordinator
- Consult with Psychology if recommended
Your nurse coordinators will work with you to get you scheduled for treatment when you and your doctor have decided that it is the right time. There are different phases of treatment for the different types of transplants.