How to Apply and Important Program Dates
How to Apply
The following application materials must be received by the February 15, 2017 deadline:
- Application form, including a brief essay describing how the NSIP will foster your academic/career interests.
- Please limit your responses to the character limits designated on the form.
- Transcript of your grades (must include Fall semester grades and be submitted electronically if possible).
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation using the official form provided below. Click on the links to either the pdf or Word document to download the files. Both the letter AND completed official recommendation form must be received for applications to be considered complete; only complete applications will be reviewed.
The application form is submitted directly online; all other material should be sent as .doc or pdf email attachments to NSIP@som.umaryland.edu.
Note: PDF forms to be submitted via email should be downloaded and saved first, then opened with Adobe Reader in order to enter your information. A free version of Adobe Reader can be downloaded at www.adobe.com.
Important NSIP dates
- December 1: Application period opens.
- February 15: All application materials must be received (see below).
- March 15 (or earlier): Interns will be notified of the selection committee’s decision; applicants offered an NSIP internship must respond within two weeks with their decision to accept or decline the offer.
- End of May: NSIP begins, all interns must report to the UMSOM for orientation, safety and ethics training, laboratory practice, and techniques course.
- June-July: Laboratory research, clinical shadowing, professional development and more. See NSIP schedule.
- End of July: Oral and poster presentations of intern research, program evaluation and exit interview.