Moderate Sedation Training
The Medical Center’s online Adult Procedural Sedation Course is available to all Medical Center staff (nursing and LIPs) requiring initial and ongoing training in moderate sedation through the online HealthStream (HS) Learning Center™ (HLC). It is available in the HLC as optional training under the Catalog tab or in the Clinical category on the employee’s course page. This applies to all Attendings, Advanced Practice Nurses and Physician Assistants who request/are approved for Moderate Sedation Privileges. (NOTE: Attendings who are board certified in Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Neonatology and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery are not required to take this course.)
If the Licensed Independent Practitioner (LIPs such as Attending Medical Staff, Resident/Fellow, Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Midwife or Physician Assistant) is an employee of FPI or UMMC, they have a user ID and password in Health Stream and can access it through the HS link on the Intranet home page or they can access it at home from www.healthstream.com/hlc/umms.* If you are an Attending, or a NP, Midwife or Physician Assistant who is not a UMMC Employee, please contact Allison Andrus at email@example.com for your login information.
The course is designed for physicians/dentists, advanced practice nurses, and physician assistants who are not anesthesiologists or anesthetists, who manage patients receiving moderate sedation. In these settings, these clinicians assume the role of the anesthesia provider by providing pre-sedation assessment, formulation (LIPs) or review (nurses) of the sedation prescription, intra-procedure sedation monitoring, and monitoring during recovery from sedation. Carrying out these practices requires training beyond what most clinicians get in their basic educational programs.
The online course is broken into three parts and each part requires about 15 to 20 minutes each to complete. The entire course can be completed in about 50 to 60 minutes and ends with a comprehensive test.
The course objectives are designed to enable the participant to:
- Prepare patients for sedation, including performing a pre-sedation assessment, acquiring consent, and developing an individualized plan for sedation;
- Perform procedural sedation safely and effectively adhering to regulatory guidelines
- Plan for and address special patients’ needs and appropriately respond to emergency situations;
- Monitor patients during post-sedation recovery to ensure safe emergence from sedation, and
- Discharge patients appropriately after recovery.
Moderate Sedation Education and Competency Assessment
Our hospital policy (COP-015) on moderate sedation requires Licensed Independent Practitioners* to:
- Complete an age-appropriate educational seminar on the critical elements of Moderate Sedation provided by the University of Maryland Department of Anesthesiology - this online course is this seminar for LIPs who practice with adult patients.
LIPs who practice with Pediatric patients should view the Pediatric Moderate Sedation Course, now available online here.
- maintain a BLS card, and
- Successful completion of simulation for airway management in the MASTRI Center (and subsequently every 2 years) OR Current ACLS Certification.
*does not apply to Physicians/Dentists board certified in Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, Neonatology, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, and Emergency Medicine, or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists.
The MASTRI Center is located on the 7th floor of the South Hospital, in the B Wing. Day and evening appointments will be made available. Registration must be completed via the website: http://mastri.umm.edu/testing/, where you will select the "Airway Management Skills Testing" button.
Please note the following:
- Completion of the Adult Sedation Course via Healthstream must be done prior to registration for airway management skills testing. A copy of your certificate must be brought with you to your appointment.
- Online registration requires 48 hours advance notice.
- Remember to bring your current BLS card.
- Testing is only available to Attendings/LIPs credentialed/employed by the University of Maryland School of Medicine or University of Maryland Medical Center.
The policy stipulates assurance of on-going moderate sedation competency for LIPs requiring bi-annual completion of the online moderate sedation module, maintenance of BLS Healthcare Provider status, and successful completion of simulation in the MASTRI Center or Current ACLS Certification.
Directions for Health Stream after logging in:
Once logged in, click on “Catalog” which should be the 3rd tab.
In the Search box, type “Adult Procedural Sedation” and Enter
Select “Adult Procedural Sedation”
Click on “Enroll in this Course”, then select the first module, “Introduction, Overview and Pre-Sedation Assessment, Consent and Plan”.
When you have completed all 3 modules and passed the exam, please print your certification and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to Medical Staff Services at (410) 328-6433.