No smoking, electronic cigarettes or tobacco use of any kind is allowed in the Medical Center, including patient rooms and bathrooms. This is a safety issue.
Violators will be escorted away from the hospital.
Smoking Can Cause A Fire
Fire is more dangerous in a hospital because:
- Sick or injured patients can’t move quickly to get away from a fire.
- Hospital bedding, gowns, oxygen tanks and other gases catch fire very easily.
- Any smoke — from a cigarette or from a fire — can hurt patients who already are sick.
IF YOU ARE A SMOKER …
The hospital and university have designated outdoor areas where smoking is allowed.
Tobacco Use Is Allowed Outside At These Locations:
- Baltimore Street near Penn Street, UMB School of Dentistry building,
under the canopy.
- Redwood and Penn Streets,outside the Shock Trauma Center
- Penn Street behind the UMB School of Nursing
- Lombard Street, outside the UMMC Gudelsky building, under the building overhang *
- Street-level deck above the Medical Center Parking Garage, behind the elevator enclosure
- University Plaza Park, across from the Main Entrance of the hospital on Greene Street *
* These designated smoking areas are located near the hospital.
UMMC offers free smoking cessation classes through the Patient Resource Center.
Source: UMMC Policy No. EOC-003.