Integrative Medicine is the practice of medicine that reaffirms the importance of the relationship between practitioner and patient, focuses on the whole person, is informed by evidence, and makes use of all appropriate therapeutic approaches, healthcare professionals and disciplines to achieve optimal health and healing. Patients at the University of Maryland Medical Center can receive, by request: touch therapies, live therapeutic music and sound, meditation, and expressive arts.
Services Provided by the Integrative Care Team:
- Reiki: Japanese technique for relaxation that can involve light touch but can also be done without touch just above the body.
- Live Therapeutic Music: Musicians trained to use music as a relaxation modality.
- Acupressure:Relaxation Practice done without needles using a light pressure on energetic points along the body.
- Guided Imagery: Guided meditation practice using imagination and visualization through all senses to help switch attention and find relaxation.
- Yoga Breath Work:Gentle breathing practices designed to relax and calm.
- Expressive Arts:Art work and writing practices which serve to help reconnect and find meaning through difficult issues or challenges.
The Integrative Care Team:
- Donna Audia RN, Reiki Master, Acupressure Student
- Lolly Forsythe-Chisolm BA, Reiki Master, Artist, and Yoga Instructor
- Carol Joy Loeb RN, Certified Live Therapeutic Music Practitioner and Certified in Acupressure
- Matthew Petroutka, BA, Certified Music Practitioner
Let your health care team know that you would like to use the Integrative Care Team during your stay.
Call Patient Resource Center at 410-328-9355, and see how we can help you today! For international patient requests, please contact:
Peggy Pardoe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page was last updated: August 16, 2013