Prostate Treatments and Robotic Surgery 1 of 2
Surgical robots are being increasingly used to lend a helping hand to surgeons as they treat a variety of medical conditions, including those caused by prostate cancer. In this two-part program, Dr. Michael Naslund and Dr. James Borin discuss the diagnosis and wide range of treatment options available for prostate cancer as well as those options available to treat benign (non-cancerous) prostate enlargement.
Part one of this two-part program addresses the following topics:
- The prostate gland and its function
- Benign prostate enlargement
- Symptoms of an enlarged prostate
- Medical treatment for enlarged prostate
- Radio frequency treatment - TUNA procedure
- Laser treatment
- Prostate cancer - risks
- Prostate cancer symptoms
- Cryosurgery (freezing)
- Radioactive seeds
- Determining best treatment for prostate cancer
Dr. Michael Naslund is a urologist at the University of Maryland Medical Center and director of the Maryland Prostate Center. Dr. Naslund is also a professor of surgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
This page was last updated: February 26, 2014