Cancer Update 1 of 2
Cancer is the second-leading cause of death in this country behind heart disease. Although it remains a serious problem, there is some promising research underway. In this interview with Ellen Beth Levitt, our expert discusses advances in cancer research and treatment, including new methods of targeted cancer therapies and vaccines.
Part one of this two-part program addresses the following topics:
- The different types of cancer
- Common cancers in men and women
- Decline in cancer mortality
- Importance of early detection
- Treatment advances - new drugs
- Growth factor receptors
- National Cancer Institute Designation
- Minority participation in clinical trials
- Health disparities
Dr. Kevin Cullen, director of the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, located at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Dr. Cullen is also a professor of medicine and head of the Program in Oncology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
This page was last updated: August 7, 2013