How to take your pulse
Toggle: English / Spanish
How to take your pulse:
- Place the tips of your index and middle finger on the inside of your wrist below the base of your thumb.
- Press lightly. You will feel the blood pulsing beneath your fingers.
- Use a watch or clock with a second hand. Count the beats you feel for 10 seconds.
- Multiply this number by 6 to get the amount of times your heart is beating in 1 minute. This is also called your pulse rate.
- Last reviewed on 3/21/2009
- David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.