How to measure peak flow
Toggle: English / Spanish
- Move the marker to the bottom of the numbered scale.
- Stand up straight.
- Take a deep breath. Fill your lungs all the way.
- Hold your breath while you place the mouthpiece in your mouth, between your teeth. Close your lips around it. Do not put your tongue inside the hole.
- Blow out as hard and fast as you can in a single blow. Your first burst of air is the most important, so blowing for a longer time will not affect your result.
- Write down the number you get. If you coughed or did not do the steps right, do not write down the number. Do it over again.
- Move the marker back to the bottom and repeat these steps 2 more times. The highest of the 3 numbers is your peak flow number. Write it down in your results log.
- Last reviewed on 4/26/2010
- Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.