Poinsettia plant exposure

Toggle: English / Spanish


Poinsettia plants, commonly used during the holidays, are not poisonous. Eating this plant does not result in a trip to the hospital in most cases.

This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Alternative Names

Christmas flower poisoning; Lobster plant poisoning; Painted leaf poisoning

Poisonous Ingredient

Diterpene esters

Where Found

Leaves, stem, sap of the poinsettia plant


Poinsettia plant exposure can affect many parts of the body.


  • Burning
  • Redness


  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Stomach ache


  • Skin rash and itching

Home Care

Take the following steps if a person is exposed to the plant.

  1. Rinse the mouth out with water if leaves or stems were eaten.
  2. Rinse eyes with water, if needed.
  3. Wash the skin of any area that appears irritated with soap and water.

Before Calling Emergency

Seek medical help if the person has a severe reaction.

Poison Control

Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does not need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

Symptoms will be treated as needed.

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well the person does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster the person gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

This plant is not considered toxic. People most often make a full recovery.

DO NOT touch or eat any unfamiliar plant. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.


Graeme KA. Toxic plant ingestions. In: Auerbach PS, ed. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2012:chap 64.

Version Info

  • Last reviewed on 11/4/2015
  • Jesse Borke, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, Attending Physician at FDR Medical Services/Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Buffalo, NY. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.

A.D.A.M., Inc. is accredited by URAC, also known as the American Accreditation HealthCare Commission (www.urac.org). URAC's accreditation program is an independent audit to verify that A.D.A.M. follows rigorous standards of quality and accountability. A.D.A.M. is among the first to achieve this important distinction for online health information and services. Learn more about A.D.A.M.'s editorial policy, editorial process and privacy policy. A.D.A.M. is also a founding member of Hi-Ethics and subscribes to the principles of the Health on the Net Foundation (www.hon.ch)

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.