Photographic fixative poisoning

Toggle: English / Spanish


Photographic fixatives are chemicals used to develop photographs.

This article discusses poisoning from swallowing such chemicals.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

Alternative Names

Photographic developer poisoning; Hydroquinone poisoning; Quinone poisoning; Sulfite poisoning

Poisonous Ingredient

  • Hydroquinones
  • Quinones
  • Sodium thiosulfate
  • Sodium sulfite/bisulfite
  • Boric acid

Photographic fixative can also break down (decompose) to form sulfur dioxide gas.

Where Found

These chemicals are found in products used to develop photographs.


  • Abdominal pain
  • Burning pain in the throat
  • Blurred vision
  • Burning in the eye
  • Coma
  • Diarrhea (watery, bloody, green-blue colored)
  • Low blood pressure
  • Skin rash
  • Stupor (confusion, decreased level of consciousness)
  • Vomiting

Home Care

Seek immediate emergency medical help. Do NOT make the person throw up. Give water or milk unless the person is

or having . Contact poison control for further help.

Before Calling Emergency

Determine the following information:

  • The person's age, weight, and condition
  • Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
  • The time it was swallowed
  • The amount swallowed

Poison Control

The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

See: Poison control center - emergency number

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

The health care provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood and urine tests will be done. The person may receive:

  • Activated charcoal so that the poison that remains does not absorb into the stomach and digestive tract
  • Airway and breathing support, including oxygen. In extreme cases, a tube may be passed through the mouth into the lungs to prevent aspiration.
  • Chest x-ray
  • EKG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
  • Endoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and stomach
  • Fluids through a vein (by IV)
  • Laxatives to move the poison quickly through the body
  • Medications to treat symptoms
  • Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well a person does depends on how much of the poison was swallowed and how quickly the person received medical help. Swallowing these products can cause severe effects in many parts of the body. The faster treatment is received, the greater the chance of recovery.


Kulig K. General approach to the poisoned patient. In: Marx J, ed. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2013:chap 147.

Version Info

  • Last reviewed on 11/2/2014
  • Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.

A.D.A.M., Inc. is accredited by URAC, also known as the American Accreditation HealthCare Commission ( URAC's accreditation program is an independent audit to verify that A.D.A.M. follows rigorous standards of quality and accountability. A.D.A.M. is among the first to achieve this important distinction for online health information and services. Learn more about A.D.A.M.'s editorial policy, editorial process and privacy policy. A.D.A.M. is also a founding member of Hi-Ethics and subscribes to the principles of the Health on the Net Foundation (

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.