Mouthwash overdose

Toggle: English / Spanish

Definition

Mouthwash overdose occurs when someone uses more than the normal or recommended amount of this substance. This can be by accident or on purpose.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual overdose. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual overdose. If you or someone you are with overdoses, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Alternative Names

Listerine overdose; Antiseptic mouth rinse overdose

Poisonous Ingredient

The ingredients in mouthwash that can be harmful in large amounts are:

  • Chlorhexidine gluconate
  • Ethanol (ethyl alcohol)
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Methyl salicylate

Where Found

Many brands of mouthwash contain the ingredients listed above.

Symptoms

Symptoms of a mouthwash overdose include:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Burns and damage to the clear covering of the front of the eye (if it gets in the eye)
  • Coma
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Headache
  • Low body temperature
  • Low blood pressure
  • Low blood sugar
  • Nausea
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Rapid, shallow breathing
  • Skin redness and pain
  • Slowed breathing
  • Slurred speech
  • Throat pain
  • Uncoordinated movement
  • Unconsciousness
  • Unresponsive reflexes
  • Urination problems (too much or too little urine)
  • Vomiting (may contain blood)

Home Care

Seek medical help right away. Do NOT make the person throw up unless poison control or a health care provider tells you to.

Before Calling Emergency

Have this information ready:

  • Person's age, weight, and condition
  • Name of the product (ingredients and strength, if known)
  • Time it was swallowed
  • Amount swallowed

Poison Control

Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

Take the container to the hospital with you, if possible.

The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated.

The person may receive:

  • Activated charcoal
  • Breathing support, including a tube through the mouth into the lungs, and breathing machine (ventilator)
  • Chest x-ray
  • EKG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
  • Fluids through a vein (by IV)
  • Kidney dialysis (in serious cases)
  • Laxative
  • Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)

The person may be admitted to the hospital.

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well someone does depends on the amount of mouthwash they swallowed and how quickly they receive treatment. The faster medical help is given, the better the chance for recovery.

Drinking large amounts of mouthwash may cause symptoms similar to drinking large amounts of alcohol (drunkenness). Swallowing large amounts of methyl salicylate and hydrogen peroxide may also cause serious stomach and intestine symptoms. It can also lead to changes in the body's acid-base balance.

References

Finnell JT. Alcohol-related disease. In: Marx JA, Hockberger RS, Walls RM, et al, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2014:chap 185.

Wax PM, Young A. Caustics. In: Marx JA, Hockberger RS, Walls RM, et al, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2014:chap 153.

Version Info

  • Last reviewed on 10/13/2015
  • Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.

A.D.A.M., Inc. is accredited by URAC, also known as the American Accreditation HealthCare Commission (www.urac.org). URAC's accreditation program is an independent audit to verify that A.D.A.M. follows rigorous standards of quality and accountability. A.D.A.M. is among the first to achieve this important distinction for online health information and services. Learn more about A.D.A.M.'s editorial policy, editorial process and privacy policy. A.D.A.M. is also a founding member of Hi-Ethics and subscribes to the principles of the Health on the Net Foundation (www.hon.ch)

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.