Foot pain causes
Toggle: English / Spanish
Causes of foot pain
Many things can cause
. You may feel it in your toes, arch, sole, or of your foot. Foot pain may be due to:
- Being on your feet for long periods of time
- Being overweight
- Wearing shoes that fit poorly or do not have much cushioning
- Having flat feet (fallen arches)
- Walking or doing other sports activities too much
- Getting an injury, such as a broken bone, sprain, or stress fracture
- Having plantar warts
- Having foot problems such as bunions, calluses and corns, or hammer toes
- Having conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, nerve problems, circulation problems, or gout that may cause problems with the feet
Abu-Laban RB, Rose NGW. Ankle and foot. In: Marx JA, Hockberger RS, Walls RM, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:chap 58.
LeCursi N. Sports shoes and orthoses. In: Miller MD, Thompson SR, eds. DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2015:chap 115.
Molloy A, Selvan D. Ligamentous Injuries of the Foot and Ankle. In: Miller MD, Thompson SR, eds. DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2015:chap 116.
- Last reviewed on 11/25/2014
- Dennis Ogiela, MD, orthopedic surgeon, Danbury Hospital, Danbury, CT. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.