Vitamin B with iron (By mouth)
Supplies your body with B vitamins and iron. You might need extra B vitamins and iron because of an illness or other medicines that you are using. You might not be getting enough B vitamins and iron from the food you eat, or there could be other reasons.
Ferrex 150 Forte, Foltrin, Icar-C Plus, Hemocyte-F, Chromagen, Multigen, Chromagen FA, Multigen Folic, Multigen Plus, Repliva 21/7, HemoPlex F, Hematinic With Folic Acid, FE C Tab Plus, Tandem F, Ferrex 150 Forte Plus
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vitamin B or iron.
How to Use This Medicine
Long Acting Tablet, Capsule, Liquid, Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Swallow the extended-release capsule, extended-release tablet, or liquid-filled capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew the tablet or capsule.
- You may take this medicine with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Missing a dose of a vitamin supplement is usually not a cause for concern.
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using an antibiotic medicine, such as tetracycline, doxycycline, Achromycin®, Minocin®, Vibramycin®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or kidney disease. Tell your doctor if you have any blood problems, such as pernicious anemia or too much iron.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to soy. Some brands of this medicine might contain soy.
- This medicine might have enough iron to poison a small child. Be very careful to keep this medicine out of the reach of children. If a child does swallow some of this medicine, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, gas.
- Mild pain in your lower chest or stomach.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.