Vigabatrin (By mouth)
Treats seizures and infantile spasms. This is an anticonvulsant.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Tablet, Powder
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Open the packet and empty the powder into an empty cup.
- Mix the powder with cold or room temperature water. Use an oral syringe to measure the right amount of water. You will need 10 milliliters (mL) of water for each packet.
- Do not use the mixed medicine if you see particles in it. The mixed medicine should be clear and colorless.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Throw away any unused liquid after the dose is given.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how vigabatrin works. Tell your doctor if you are using clonazepam or phenytoin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, anemia, eye or vision problems, or a history of depression or mental illness.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Change or loss of vision, which could be permanent
- Higher risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Peripheral neuropathy (nerve problem)
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments. It is very important that your eye doctor check your eyes within 4 weeks of the day you start treatment and then about every 3 months.
- This medicine may make you sleepy or tired. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision, changes in vision, loss of vision
- Feeling depressed, anxious, or irritable
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual moods or behavior, thoughts of hurting yourself or others
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, tiredness, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Joint, muscle, or back pain
- Tremors, shaking
- Weight gain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.