Treats blood vessel disorders in the eye that are caused by conditions such as macular degeneration (a gradual loss of vision caused by aging), myopia (nearsightedness), or ocular histoplasmosis (a fungal infection of the eye).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- A few minutes after injection of this medicine, you will receive a light treatment to your eye(s).
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows about ALL other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before receiving this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease.
- This medicine will cause your skin and eyes to become sensitive to sunlight or bright light. Avoid sunlight or bright indoor light for 5 days after your treatment. This includes tanning beds, bright halogen lights, light coming through a window, or lights used in surgery or dental offices.
- If you must go outdoors during the first 5 days after a treatment, wear protective clothing including long sleeves, a hat, and dark sunglasses. Sunscreen will not protect you from the harmful effects of sunlight after a treatment with this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Blurred or double vision or vision that is less clear
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet
- Pain, burning, swelling, redness, or rash where the needle is placed
- Red, swollen, or bruised eyes
- Skin rash or redness
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry or itching eyes
- Fever, chills, sore throat, cough
- Muscle weakness or joint pain
- Nausea or constipation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/8/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.