Thiazide diuretics (By mouth)
Treats high blood pressure and fluid retention (edema). This medicine is a diuretic (water pill).
Hydrocot, Microzide, Diuril, Renese, Aquacot
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hydrochlorothiazide or sulfa drugs, or if you are unable to urinate.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Your dose may need to be changed several times in order to find out what works best for you. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet. You may need to eat foods that are high in potassium (such as oranges or bananas) to prevent potassium loss while you are using this medicine.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before using.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using amantadine (Symmetrel®), amiodarone (Cordarone®), cholestyramine (Questran®), colestipol (Colestid®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), lithium, pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, Advil®, Aleve®, Indocin®, Motrin®, Orudis®, Relafen®, Voltaren®), steroids (such as cortisone, prednisone), or low-salt milk.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, gout, pancreatitis, or lupus.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Blood in urine or stools
- Confusion, weakness, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling in hands, feet, or lips
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea or vomiting
- Fever chills, cough, hoarseness
- Problems urinating, pain in side or lower back
- Skin rash or itching
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Yellow eyes or skin
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite
- Problems having sex
- Mild diarrhea or stomach upset
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.