Tetracaine (On the skin)
Used to numb certain areas of the body before tests or procedures. This medicine is a topical anesthetic.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Do not apply this medicine to a large area of skin, or to broken or irritated skin.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor about all other medical problems you have before receiving this medicine.
- It is very important to check with your doctor first about using this medicine before having medical tests to examine your breasts or other medical procedures. Using this medicine before having a medical test for your breasts or before having certain other medical procedures may increase your risk of serious side effects.
- If this medicine is used in your mouth or throat, do not try to eat or drink anything until feeling has returned to normal.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Seizures or tremors.
- Shortness of breath, chest pain, cold sweat, or bluish-colored skin.
- Slow or irregular heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety, dizziness, or drowsiness.
- Mild nausea or vomiting.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Ringing in your ears.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.