Prevents fluid build-up in your chest around your lungs.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Powder Under Pressure
- A doctor will use this medicine during a medical procedure, such as a thoracoscopy or open thoracotomy. This medicine is sprayed through a tube into your chest and around the lungs.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other lung problems.
- Tell your doctor right away if you develop fever, chest pain or tightness, or trouble breathing. These could be symptoms of a serious lung condition.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Make sure any doctor who treats you knows that this medicine has been used around your lungs.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, coughing up blood
- Fast or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bleeding, swelling, warmth, or pain on your skin where the spray tube was inserted
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.