Sulfisoxazole (By mouth)
Treats different types of infections.Belongs to a class of drugs called sulfonamides or sulfa drugs.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Shake the oral liquid before each use.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- The medicine may be taken with food to lessen stomach upset.
- Continue to take the medicine until it is all gone (or until your doctor tells you to stop). Your infection might come back if you stop taking the medicine too soon.
If a dose is missed:
- If you take 2 doses a day, take the missed dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, take the missed dose and wait 5 to 6 hours for your next dose.
- If you take 3 or more doses a day, take the missed dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, space the missed dose and the next dose 2 to 4 hours apart.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away form heat, direct light or moisture. Store the oral liquid in the refrigerator.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking blood thinners such as Coumadin®, diabetes medicine such as glipizide or glyburide, or methotrexate (Rheumatrex®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver or kidney disease, anemia, or any other medical problems.
- This medicine can cause your skin to be more sensitive to sunlight. Avoid being exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time and protect your skin from the sun when you are outside.
- Check with your doctor if your condition does not improve or gets worse while taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Itching or skin rash
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Sore throat, fever
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Appetite loss
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/8/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.