Sulfamethoxazole (By mouth)
Treats urinary tract infections, ear infections, and other general infections caused by bacteria. May also be given in combination with other medicines. Belongs to a class of drugs called sulfonamides (sulfa drugs).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Drink plenty of water while using this medicine.
- Use this medicine for the full time of treatment, even if you begin to feel better. If you stop using this medicine too soon, your infection may come back.
If a dose is missed:
- Use your medicine as soon as possible unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- Do not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep this and all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using Coumadin®, Dilantin®, or methotrexate.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney or liver disease, asthma, or G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Muscles aches
- Rash, blistering, or purple spots on the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Skin rash, hives, or itching
- Sore throat or cough
- Swelling in face, throat, or lips
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Yellow eyes or yellow or pale skin
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.