Used to treat or prevent gonorrhea infections. This medicine is an antibiotic.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to spectinomycin.
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle.
If a dose is missed:
- If you need more than one dose of this medicine, it will be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if there is a history of antibiotic allergy in your family.
- You will need to see your doctor after finishing this medicine to make sure your infection is gone. You may also need to see your doctor again in three months to have a repeat blood test done for other infections such as syphilis.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or trouble sleeping.
- Fever or chills.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.