Sorbitol (By injection)
Used to clean your urinary bladder during a procedure.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine is given by running the solution through a tube (catheter) into your bladder.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have severe heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease, or diabetes. Tell your doctor if you are planning for prostrate surgery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, dizziness, weakness, and muscle twitching.
- Fast heartbeat, chest pain or trouble breathing.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweat, and bluish-colored skin.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain or chills.
- Blurred vision.
- Dry mouth or increased thirst.
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Red skin rash.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.