Solifenacin (By mouth)
Treats symptoms of an overactive bladder.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the tablet whole with water. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose of this medicine, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you also use atazanavir (Reyataz®), clarithromycin (Biaxin®), indinavir (Crixivan®), itraconazole (Sporanox®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), nefazodone (Serzone®), nelfinavir (Viracept®), rifampin (Rifadin®, Rimactane®), ritonavir (Norvir®), saquinavir (Invirase®), telithromycin (Ketek®), or voriconazole (Vfend®).
- Tell your doctor if you also use arsenic trioxide (Trisenox®), cisapride (Propulsid®), dofetilide (Tikosyn®), medicine for depression (such as amitriptyline, fluoxetine, nortriptyline, Elavil®, Pamelor®, Prozac®, Sarafem®, Vivactil®), certain antibiotics (such as erythromycin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, sparfloxacin, Avelox®, Levaquin®, Zagam®), or medicine to treat mental illness (such as haloperidol, mesoridazine, pimozide, prochlorperazine, quetiapine, thioridazine, ziprasidone, Compazine®, Geodon®, Haldol®, Mellaril®, Orap®, Serentil®, Seroquel®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, bladder problems, heart rhythm problems (such as QT prolongation), narrow-angle glaucoma, or stomach or bowel problems.
- This medicine may cause constipation. Call your doctor if you have severe stomach pain or become constipated for 3 or more days.
- This medicine may make you sweat less and cause your body temperature to increase. Use extra care to avoid becoming overheated during exercise or hot weather while you are taking this medicine. Overheating can cause heat stroke.
- This medicine may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. Do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Constipation that lasts for 3 days or longer
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate, painful urination
- Severe stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, or headache
- Decreased sweating
- Dry mouth
- Mild constipation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.