Selenium sulfide (On the skin)
Selenium Sulfide (se-LEE-nee-um SUL-fide)
Treats dandruff, fungus infections of the skin (tinea versicolor), and seborrhea of the scalp.
Dandrex, Rite Aid Dandruff, Rite Aid Renewal Dandruff Shampoo, SelRx, Tersi Foam
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Foam, Shampoo, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often. Use this medicine exactly as your doctor ordered.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Use this medicine on the skin or scalp only.
- Keep the medicine away from your eyes. If you do get some in your eyes, rinse them with water.
- Shake the bottle well before use. Take off any jewelry before you use this medicine.
- To treat a skin infection, apply to the affected areas and lather. Allow the lather to stay on your skin for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
- To treat seborrhea or dandruff, put a small amount in your hair and lather. Wait 2 to 3 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Repeat the application and rinse thoroughly.
- Wash your hands well after applying selenium sulfide.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next treatment, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed application.
- Do not apply twice as much medicine at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep this medicine in its original tightly closed container, away from heat or direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using selenium sulfide.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Oily or dry hair or scalp
- Change in hair color
- Hair loss
- Skin irritation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.