Rizatriptan (By mouth)
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Dissolving Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed. Use rizatriptan only when you have a migraine.
- If your headache improves but then comes back, you may take a second dose. Wait at least 2 hours before you take the second dose. Call your doctor if your headache does not improve at all after the first dose.
- Tablet: Swallow whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Make sure your hands are dry before you handle the disintegrating tablet. Peel back the foil from the blister pack, then remove the tablet. Do not push the tablet through the foil. Place the tablet in your mouth. After it has melted, swallow or take a drink of water.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you have taken another triptan or ergot medicine for a migraine in the past 24 hours (including almotriptan, dihydroergotamine, eletriptan, ergotamine, frovatriptan, methysergide, naratriptan, sumatriptan, or zolmitriptan).
- Do not use this medicine if you have used an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) within the past 2 weeks.
- Some medicines can affect how rizatriptan works. Tell your doctor if you are using propranolol or medicine to treat depression.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, phenylketonuria (PKU), or a family history of heart disease, heart attack, blood circulation problems, or stroke. Tell your doctor if you smoke.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Increased risk for heart rhythm problems, heart attack, or stroke
- Spasms in the blood vessels
- Serotonin syndrome (more likely if used with certain other medicines)
- High blood pressure
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Your headaches may become worse if you use headache medicine for 10 or more days per month. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, restlessness, fever, sweating, muscle spasms, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seeing or hearing things that are not there
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, unusual sweating, faintness
- Fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Numbness or coldness in your hands or feet
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body, problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Severe stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Tightness or discomfort in your chest, neck, or jaw
- Vision loss or vision changes that are not part of a usual migraine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/8/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.