Piperacillin Sodium (pi-per-a-SIL-in SOE-dee-um), Tazobactam Sodium (taz-oh-BAK-tam SOE-dee-um)
Treats infections. The medicine contains a penicillin antibiotic.
Amerinet Choice Zosyn, Novaplus Zosyn, PremierPro Rx Piperacillin and Tazobactam, PremierPro Rx Zosyn, Zosyn
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how piperacillin/tazobactam works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following medicines:
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Other medicine to treat an infection (such as tobramycin)
- Blood thinner (such as warfarin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, congestive heart failure, or cystic fibrosis. Tell your doctor if you have a history of allergies or are on a low-salt diet.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Bleeding problems
- Serious skin reactions
- Severe diarrhea
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine. It may occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Diarrhea that may contain blood
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, trouble sleeping
- Mild diarrhea, constipation, nausea
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.