Penicillin G benzathine/penicillin G procaine (Injection)
Penicillin G Benzathine (pen-i-SIL-in G BEN-za-theen), Penicillin G Procaine (pen-i-SIL-in G PROE-kane)
Treats or helps prevent infections caused by certain types of bacteria. This medicine is an antibiotic.
Bicillin C-R, Bicillin CR 900/300
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. It may also be given by a home health caregiver. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose, and how often you should receive this medicine. If you will need more than one dose of this medicine, be sure to receive it for the full treatment time, even if you feel better. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using your antibiotic medicine too soon.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking tetracycline or probenecid (Benemid®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have a history of asthma or hay fever. Tell your doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a cephalosporin antibiotic such as cefaclor, cephalexin, Ceftin®, or Keflex®. Make sure your doctor knows about any allergies you have to medicine, food, or other substances.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Arm or leg that suddenly turns pale, cold, or blue after your injection.
- Diarrhea, or blood in your stool.
- Discomfort or trouble urinating, or a decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting.
- Lasting redness or severe pain, peeling skin, or a lump at the injection site.
- New changes in hearing or vision.
- New swelling, rash, or peeling skin anywhere on the body.
- Sudden or severe headache, numbness, tingling, weakness, or trouble with movement.
- Seizures (convulsions).
- Shortness of breath, tiredness, uneven or fast heartbeat, or yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
- Trouble thinking clearly, hallucinations (sensing things that are not there), or an extreme change in your behavior.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Fever, shaking, chills, sweating, cough, body aches, sore throat, or swollen glands.
- Headache, joint pain, back pain, or muscle pain.
- Mood changes such as anxiety or depression.
- White patches in your mouth or throat, vaginal itching, or unusual vaginal discharge.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.