Lowers levels of growth hormone in acromegaly. Also treats diarrhea associated with certain types of tumors.
PremierPro Rx octreotide acetate, SandoSTATIN
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin or into a vein.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection.
- You will be shown the body areas where this shot can be given. Use a different body area each time you give yourself a shot. Keep track of where you give each shot to make sure you rotate body areas.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- It is very important to use this medicine on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
- If you store this medicine at home, store it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. If kept at room temperature and protected from light, octreotide is good for only 14 days.
- Do not open a bottle until you are ready to use the medicine. If you are using the bottles that contain more than one dose, the bottle and any unused medicine must be thrown away 14 days after opening.
- Throw away any unused medicine if the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cyclosporine (Sandimmune®), diabetes medicine (insulin or oral medicine such as Actos, Avandia®, Glucotrol®, Glyburide®), blood pressure medicine (such as atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol, Toprol®), heart medicine (such as verapamil, Adalat®, Cardizem®, Plendil®, Procardia®), diuretics (water pills such as furosemide, Norvasc®), or potassium supplements.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have psoriasis, heart or thyroid problems, diabetes, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), or severe kidney disease.
- Side effects tend to be more severe in patients who are taking octreotide for acromegaly.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate, increased thirst or hunger, weight loss
- Nervousness, shakiness, sweating, sudden hunger
- Severe pain in the upper or upper right abdomen, especially spreading to the side or back
- Severe stomach pain
- Unusual tiredness or weakness, coldness, weight gain
- Yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, burning, or itching where the IV or shot is given
- Nausea, constipation, stomach cramps, increased diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.