Nafarelin (Into the nose)
Treats endometriosis and premature puberty (very early sexual development).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- To use, tilt your head back slightly. Put the tip of the bottle into your nostril and spray the medicine into your nose.
- Allow 30 seconds between sprays.
- Try not to sneeze during or right after using this medicine.
- For premature puberty, it is important to use this medicine regularly without missing doses. Keep using the medicine until your doctor tells you to stop.
- For endometriosis, start using this medicine between days 2 and 4 of your menstrual cycle, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor. This medicine is used for a period of six months. It is important to use this medicine regularly without missing doses.
If a dose is missed:
- Use your medicine as soon as possible unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- Do not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store upright at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep the medicine from freezing.
- Keep this and all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using or have used seizure medicines or steroids.
- Tell your doctor if you have used alcohol or tobacco for a long time.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- For premature puberty, your doctor may want to check your progress regularly while you are using this medicine.
- During the first month of using this medicine for premature puberty, girls may have vaginal bleeding or breast enlargement. This should go away. If you have used this medicine for 2 months or more and still have vaginal bleeding or breast enlargement, tell your doctor.
- If you get a stuffy nose, and need to use a nasal decongestant, call your doctor. If your doctor tells you to use a decongestant, wait at least 2 hours after using nafarelin to use the decongestant.
- You should not get pregnant while using this medicine to treat endometriosis. Talk to your doctor about effective methods of birth control to use. If you do get pregnant, tell your doctor right away.
- If you are using this medicine to treat endometriosis, you should stop having menstrual periods. If you have a period after taking this medicine for more than a month, call your doctor.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have a family history of osteoporosis if you are being treated for endometriosis.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne, or skin rash or flaking
- Breasts becoming smaller (during endometriosis treatment)
- Dryness of vagina (during endometriosis treatment)
- Headache, muscle aches (during endometriosis treatment)
- Hot flashes (during endometriosis treatment)
- Irritation of the nostrils
- Loss of interest in sex (during endometriosis treatment)
- Mood changes
- Weight gain or fluid retention (during endometriosis treatment)
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.