Multivitamins, adult formula (By mouth)
Multivitamins are given to people who need more vitamins in their diet.
Folgard RX, Multi-Day, Rena-Vite, Dialyvite 800, Daily Value Multivitamin, Nature's Blend Multi-Vitamin, Daily Multiple, Daily Vite, Tab-A-Vite, Tab-A-Vite w/Iron, Stresstabs w/Iron, Vi-Stress, Daily Multiple Vitamins, Stress Formula Vitamins, Stresstabs
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any single vitamin or multivitamin. Do not use this medicine if you are under 18 years old.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Liquid
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not break, chew, or crush it.
- Chew the chewable tablet before swallowing. Drink one cup (8 ounces) of liquid to help swallow the tablet after chewing.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. The oral liquid may be mixed with food.
If a dose is missed:
- It is generally not harmful if you miss a dose of a multivitamin. Take it as soon as you remember. Do not take two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Talk with your doctor before you take a multivitamin if you are using a blood thinner such as aspirin or Coumadin®, or if you are on hormone replacement therapy.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you have heart disease, liver disease, kidney stones, or an overactive thyroid gland. Tell your doctor if you smoke, or drink alcohol daily or regularly. Make sure your doctor knows if you have a bleeding disorder or a condition called sarcoidosis.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding, ask your doctor what vitamins are best for you to use.
- You should not use more of a multivitamin than your doctor has ordered or more than the package label recommends. Some vitamins can build up in the body and can be harmful.
- Multivitamins can turn urine bright yellow and stools a darker color. This is normal.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before having surgery or medical tests.
- You should not use certain brands of this medicine if you have kidney disease or are on dialysis. Some brands contain ingredients that could be harmful if your kidneys are not working properly. Always ask your health caregiver what specific brands of this medicine will work best for you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Bloody diarrhea.
- Severe stomach pain, or vomiting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, or diarrhea.
- Loss of appetite, or bad taste in your mouth.
- Nausea, heartburn, or upset stomach.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
This page was last updated: June 18, 2013