Morphine/sodium chloride premix (Injection)
Morphine (MOR-feen), Sodium Chloride (SOE-dee-um KLOR-ide)
Relieves pain. This medicine is a narcotic drug.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to morphine or a similar medicine such as hydromorphone, oxycodone, or codeine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- To avoid dizziness from this medicine, get up slowly from a sitting or lying position.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®. Tell your doctor if you are using a stomach medicine such as cimetidine, famotidine, ranitidine, Pepcid®, Tagamet®, or Zantac®. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using, including nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have asthma or other breathing problems. Tell your doctor if you have liver disease, heart disease, kidney disease, Addison's disease, or lung disease. Make sure your doctor knows if you have inflammatory bowel disease, enlarged prostate, or trouble urinating. Tell your doctor if you have a head injury, low thyroid hormone levels, or a history of seizures.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. If you feel that the medicine is not working as well, do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor for instructions.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly without asking your doctor. You may need to slowly decrease your dose before stopping it completely.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine may cause constipation. This is more common if you use it for a long time. Ask your doctor if you should also use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, or fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat.
- Chest tightness, or breathing problems.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Pain, itching, or rash where the needle is placed.
- Severe vomiting or stomach pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Agitation, anxiety, or trouble sleeping.
- Dry mouth.
- Nausea, vomiting, or sweating more than usual.
- Warmth or redness in your face.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.