Loxapine (By mouth)
Treats schizophrenia and symptoms of mental disorders.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Liquid, Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- You may take the tablets with food to avoid stomach upset.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Mix the medicine with one-half glass of orange juice or grapefruit juice, and drink it right away.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have seizures, glaucoma, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, or a history of breast cancer.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- This medicine could cause side effects that include muscle spasms, twitching in your face or body, and uncontrolled tongue or jaw movement. Talk to your doctor about this risk.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fever, severe muscle stiffness.
- Muscle twitching or jerking.
- Rapid breathing or heartbeat.
- Spasms of the neck, face, or back.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Agitation or restlessness.
- Changes in vision, such as problems focusing.
- Dry mouth, loss of appetite, nausea.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.