Laxative, Bulk-forming (By mouth)
Treats constipation by helping you have a bowel movement.
Benefiber, Bulk-K, Carlson Psyllium, Citrucel, Citrucel Fiber Shake, Citrucel with Smartfiber, Equalactin, Evac, Fiber, Fiber Choice, Fiber Choice Plus Calcium, Fiber Choice Weight Management, Fiber Ease, Fiber Laxative, Fiber Therapy
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Powder, Granule, Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Delayed Release Tablet, Capsule, Packet, Wafer
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Take each dose with at least 8 ounces (1 cup) of water. You could choke if you do not drink enough water when you take this medicine. Drink at least 6 to 8 full glasses of liquid every day to help soften your stools (bowel movements).
- Mix the powder or granules with at least 8 ounces (1 cup) of water or other liquid. Drink this mixture right away. Do not mix with carbonated beverages, such as soda pop or club soda. Read the directions on the package label if you want to use a liquid other than water, because you can use different liquids for different brands of laxatives. Do not swallow the powder or granules dry.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. You might need to shake the oral liquid before measuring your dose.
- Do not chew, crush, or break the delayed-release tablet.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using tetracycline, a blood thinner (Coumadin®), digitalis (Lanoxin®), or salicylates (aspirin).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Check with your doctor before using if you are pregnant, or if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, or trouble swallowing.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). Talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Laxatives should not be given to children under 6 years of age unless ordered by a doctor.
- Check with your doctor if you have sudden changes in bowel habits that last for more than 2 weeks.
- You should not use this laxative for longer than 1 week unless approved by your doctor. Laxatives may be habit-forming and can harm your bowels if you use them too long.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash
- Itchy skin
- Trouble breathing
- Severe constipation or abdominal pain
- Trouble swallowing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.