Ivacaftor (By mouth)
Treats cystic fibrosis (CF).
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ivacaftor.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Take this medicine with food that contains fat, such as butter, cheese pizza, eggs, or peanut butter.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicine to treat an infection (such as clarithromycin, erythromycin, fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, telithromycin, voriconazole, Biaxin®, Diflucan®, Ery-tab®, Ketek®, Nizoral®, Noxafil®, Sporanox®, or Vfend®), medicine to treat tuberculosis (such as rifampin, rifabutin, Mycobutin®, Rifadin®, or Rifamate®), medicine to treat seizures (such as carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, Dilantin®, Luminal®, or Tegretol®), or St John's wort. Tell your doctor if you are also using cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), midazolam (Versed®), or tacrolimus (Prograf®).
- Do not eat or drink anything that contains grapefruit or Seville oranges.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- Check with your doctor right away if you have pain or tenderness in your upper right side, pale stools, dark urine, loss of appetite, nausea, or yellow eyes or skin. These could be symptoms of a serious liver problem.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or pain in your upper stomach
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache or dizziness
- Joint or muscle pain
- Mild nausea, stomach pain, or diarrhea
- Stuffy or runny nose, sore throat
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
This page was last updated: June 18, 2013