Ifosfamide (eye-FOS-fa-mide), Mesna (MES-na)
Ifex® treats certain types of testicular cancer. Mesnex® protects the bladder from damage that may be caused by some cancer medicines.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or cancer treatment center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- Drink extra liquids the day before and the day of your treatment, and every day for three days afterward.
- Do not get the medicine on your skin. If it does, wash the area well with soap and water, and tell your caregiver.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There may be certain medicines that could interact with ifosfamide/mesna. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
- This medicine may interfere with vaccines. Ask your doctor before you get a flu shot or any other vaccines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Do not breast feed while you are being treated with this medicine.
- Tell you doctor if you have had an allergic reaction to other medicines. Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney problems, liver problems, bone marrow problems, or if you have recently had other chemotherapy or radiation treatments. Tell your doctor about any other illnesses or medical conditions that you have.
- You may have bladder problems while using this medicine. If you have pink or red urine, tell your doctor right away.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Cancer medicines can cause nausea and/or vomiting in most people, sometimes even after receiving medicines to prevent it. Ask your doctor or nurse about other ways to control these side effects. If you cannot keep liquids down, call your doctor right away.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain, fast or uneven heartbeat.
- Confusion or hallucinations (seeing things that are not there).
- Fever, chills, or sore throat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Trouble urinating, pain or burning when you urinate, or pink, red, or bloody urine.
- Uncontrollable nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain.
- Drowsiness or dizziness.
- Hair loss.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Upset stomach, loss of appetite, diarrhea, constipation, or mild nausea or vomiting.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.