Ibuprofen/famotidine (By mouth)
Famotidine (fam-OH-ti-deen), Ibuprofen (eye-bue-PROE-fen)
Treats pain and arthritis. This medicine contains an NSAID and medicine to protect your stomach from damage caused by the NSAID.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not break, crush, divide, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how ibuprofen works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Cholestyramine, lithium, or methotrexate
- Blood pressure medicine, including a diuretic (such as furosemide or a thiazide) or an ACE inhibitor
- Blood thinner (such as warfarin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not use this medicine during the later part of pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, bleeding problems, high blood pressure, asthma, congestive heart failure or other heart problems, or a history of ulcers or other digestive problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart attack or stroke
- Anemia or bleeding problems
- Bleeding and ulcers in your stomach or intestines
- High blood pressure
- Liver damage
- Kidney damage
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Sever stomach pain, vomiting blood, bloody, black or tarry stools
- Trouble seeing, blind spots change in how you see colors
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, or coughing up blood.
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, yellow skin or eyes
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat.
- Fever, neck pain, or stiff neck
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or pain in your upper stomach.
- Numbness or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body.
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet, trouble breathing, tiredness
- Sudden or severe headache, or problems with vision, speech, or walking.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, stomach pain, or stomach upset
- Mild skin rash or itching
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.