Hydrogen peroxide (On the skin)
Hydrogen Peroxide (HYE-droe-jen per-OX-ide)
Prevents infection in minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. This medicine is used as a first aid antiseptic.
Aplicare One Hydrogen Peroxide, Quality Choice Hydrogen Peroxide, The Medicine Shoppe Hydrogen Peroxide, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Hydrogen Peroxide, Swan Hydrogen Peroxide, Rite Aid Hydrogen Peroxide, Rite Aid Hydrogen Peroxide Wipes
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hydrogen peroxide. You should not use this medicine to treat an injury to the eye, or to treat large areas of the body.
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- This medicine is for use on skin only. Do not let this medicine get into your eyes, nose, or mouth. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away. Do not use this medicine over large areas of your body.
- Clean the affected area and then apply a small amount of medicine.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- If a bandage is needed, allow the treated area to dry before covering.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Talk to your doctor before use if you have deep or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns.
- Do not use this medicine for more than 1 week unless your doctor tells you to.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.